Expat France | living in France.

www.superfrenchie.com lacoquette.blogs.com samdebretagne.blogspot.com www.petiteanglaise.com www.french-word-a-day.com

Go Back   Expat France | living in France. > Introductions, Moving to France, Living in France
Googlemap ME Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th October 2006, 14:52

Hey Toc,
Today I re-visited the "other" site (I won't mention any names), and I did a bit more browsing. Now I understand what you were saying about "bashing". It's like a written war zone over there! Everyone hates EVERYONE! It's a very scary place. Just makes me more grateful I have found this site. The entire atmosphere is so opposite. I suppose maybe it (the other) at least offers a place to vent, if ever someone feels the need.

Last edited by ameri-cannes : 13th October 2006 at 15:19.
Old 13th October 2006, 17:24

Yes . I tried many other anglophone sites and generally received some insults after 2 or 3 days, just because I am French.
It is why I stopped to chat with american people for about 2 years.
It is funny but not very useful.
(there were generally no problem with English, Australians or other english speaking people)
The positiv point is that I know a lot of insults now !
The link I sent to you is the site of a French expat, living in USA, and experimenting day after day the French bashing.
I hope that the american expats living in France don't feel the same way in France.
Old 13th October 2006, 17:50

What link?
And no, I don't generally feel that way. I have found most French people to be very polite and friendly. I was rather shocked at some of the posts "over there".
Old 13th October 2006, 21:31

I found most of the people I met to be polite as well. I mean, we get irritated with people who don't speak the language, why shouldn't they get a little frustrated with us as well?
Old 13th October 2006, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameri-cannes
What link?
And no, I don't generally feel that way. I have found most French people to be very polite and friendly. I was rather shocked at some of the posts "over there".

Oops. Sometimes I have some difficulties to write what I mean.
Read : the link I suggested to you ...
I agree with you, most people we meet are very polite and friendly.

Internet is different because people are behind a screen and plastic keyboard and all become possible...
However, I find this site very friendly.
Old 13th October 2006, 22:35

Perhaps some of the dislike comes from the US itself. There is a site that I found called f***france.com. I have never seen so much racial hatred in my life and cannot understand how this site is allowed. In my opinion free speech is good, but these people are as bad as terrorists.
Old 13th October 2006, 23:57

I just saw a reference to that site myself today. I honestly thought it was a joke (in very poor taste). It actually exists? Some people just enjoy hostility I think. Personally, I would never visit such a site.

-Toc, I'm sorry, but I don't remember you mentioning a link- forgive me, I am very forgetful lately.
Old 16th October 2006, 12:21

I have always fund it strange that Americans always need to be liked by everyone. The Government however tries hard to be disliked by the rest of the world. There are many reasons people do not like Americans and you cannot divorce yourself from your Government as Americans are quick to point out it is Government for the People by the people. So sadly you have to take some responsibility for it. I think the hypocritical pronouncements of GW do nothing to foster universal love of Americans.

I do not dislike Americans by the way. I have been married to one for 25 years and spent most of those years in California. I still find you hard to understand.
Old 16th October 2006, 18:55

You know, my son travels to Europe and Asia quite a bit with his music and I have to say, he's very "anti-american" when it comes to how our media and government portray the messes in the States. In Europe or anywhere, I think once you take the time to respect and appreciate who's country you happen to be in (language, history, communities) then there is no reason to dislike or "bash" at all. When it becomes so common and hateful is when Amercians land on foreign soil with the same arrogance that the display in their own country and so many Americans have money to travel but not the slightest degree of diplomacy or tact outside their own borders. Its this arrogance that has gotten us in the mess we're in right now in the Middle East and elsewhere.

To me, its only to be true to oneself and be decent to your neighbors - remember that old saying "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything" and that's what I choose to do. I will remark however that when I or my son travel we do find in some places its not always good to pronouce we are Americans until we've established a bit of repore with our foreign accquaintences.
Old 17th October 2006, 08:52

Very well said, Twistoffate.