Expat France | living in France.

www.superfrenchie.com lacoquette.blogs.com samdebretagne.blogspot.com www.petiteanglaise.com www.french-word-a-day.com

Go Back   Expat France | living in France. > Introductions, Moving to France, Living in France
Googlemap ME Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th April 2008, 11:47

Default Flat in Lyon...

Hi,
I'd be interested in knowing more about your appart. in Lyon - can you send me a direct message, please?
Thanks in advance

http://off-thebeatentrack.blogspot.com/
Old 18th April 2008, 15:11

Default Greetings

Hello everyone, let me introduce myself. I'm a British expatriate that has moved to Annecy, 'près du lac', as recently as last month, although I've been living in the Geneva/France border area for a few months before that.

Workwise, well, it looks like I've involved computing in my career, nomatter how much I wanted to get away from it at times - a bit of involvement in home computer games in the early 90s to working in design and marketing in West Africa in the mid 90s, right through to offshore financial institutions more recently. I'm now working for a financial advisor based at Place d'Archamps and also with offices in Brazil.

So now, I'm frantically trying to brush up on my French using any methods that are available to me (all at the same time!) yet at the same time it would be nice to know that there are a few English-speakers around the place to relax and discuss matters with..
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:12

Hi Everyone, This is Ann & am 62 & currently live in Auckland New Zealand, I was born in the UK but have lived in many countries including Australia where I live in Sydney for 32 years. Our son lives in Hamilton (Brisbane) & our daughter lives in Canberra. In the 1990's we bought a holiday house in SW France near Monpazier. I loved the brief times we spent in France but it was a long way fom Sydney so we sold. We later moved to Spain & loved & hated that then moved to New Zealand where we feel we have stagnated in the last 7 years. So we have made the decision to move & as my husband has severe arthritis & we really need somewhere which will be kind to his bones. We have been researching Cyprus as a place to move for our retirement & I have just returned from a 2 week holiday in Cyprus & loved it yet France always tugs my heart strings. If I felt there was somewhere in France which would have a suitable climate & for us I think it would be a strong contender for our future. Pleased to find this web site & to see there are a lot of Australians living there but then you find an Aussie in every corner of the globe. Incidentally I loved Yvoire & my husband loved Evian les Bains when we visited that area. Anyway I look forward to reading this Forum & congrats David & Penny on making the move.

Cheers,

Amm
Old 4th September 2008, 23:07

Red face Introduction?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site - I joined because a friend of mine who also lives in Lyon (Dominique) sent me an email about a young Australian family who were moving to Lyon and needed some info - so I jumped into the forum and posted a reply and then I posted some photos in the competition and now I'm finally ready to introduce myself! lol!.
My name is Wanda (pronounced Vanda) - I'm of Polish background but was born and raised in Sydney, Australia - just like my Husband. We have been in France since April 2001 and so we have found out, mostly the hard way, about all the red-tape that is France... still - it's a gorgeous country that's for sure. We have 2 kids - an 18year old who will be sitting for his IB this year (International Bacclaureate) and a 14 soon to be 15 year-old who is now in Lycee. We have a dog, Sasha - a golden retriever who is Belgian!
I go shopping to Geneve every so often when I want to buy things I can't find here in Lyon! I love Annecy - it's a really beautiful place. We try to take our visitors up there when we can.
Vanja
Old 16th September 2008, 11:52

Default Hello Everyone!

It is a pleasure to 'meet' you all !

Having read all of your posts I have just joined too! I was born and grew up on the south coast of England. Married in 1991. Had our daughter 1994 and, looking for more of the good things for her and us, we decided to move to Correze - that was in 2005.

We have had a good three years in the countryside, but didn't foresee the isolation for our daughter and the fact that the education system has been particularly 'undynamic' for her! We took the decision to move to Bordeaux so that she could go to the International School there, but we also still own a house in Correze from where my Husband will continue his business in Solar Energy. The theory is that we will split our time between the two - it will be interesting to see how that works out!!

So here I am, in Bordeaux, in an Aparthotel at the moment, trying to find an apartment and jump through the hoops required when you do find one! I am sure that anyone who has been through the same thing will still quiver at the words 'Caution Bancaire'! It would be so much easier to find a Landlord direct who is willing to accept an honest tenant with a cheque book - I know 'Would I in the same situation?'! Our problem is that we are self-employed, but also spent the first two years of our life in France 'doing' the house, so we don't have three years background as french taxpayers/employees etc!

Oh well, fingers crossed! We have now found a flat. We have a Bank willing to set up the account. We have the funds available to put in it. We just want to finalise it all and move in!

Anyway, we have achieved our original goal already - our daughter speaks, reads and writes very good French. She now also can't wait to go to school again - that was why we have come to Bordeaux!

Do make contact if you are in or around bordeaux, it would be interesting to hear more about the City. I am enjoying life here and have found muscles I forgot I had whilst walking for miles around the City - can't be bad, eh?

look forward to 'speaking' to many of you.

A
Old 16th September 2008, 12:42
Forum admin

Default caution bancaire

Hello A...

Welcome to the forum :-)

I feel your pain in relation to potential "caution bancaire / security deposit" When we moved to Annecy last year, there were only a couple of agencies that were even willing to take caution bancaires from us since I am self-employed with no employment history in France.

All the other agencies were not interested. I even offered one 2 years upfront rent to one !!

We ended up paying 18 months caution bancaire with an agency who was very helpful (L'Agence Bozon Fantin Marin in rue Vaugelas)

We don't own a car so do plenty of walking we love it :-)

All the best with your apartment searches in Bordeaux, what a beautiful city!
Old 26th January 2009, 08:41

Default Where to start??

Hi David..great name...our youngest boy is named David because we had never met a david we didn't like!!! We are thinking of moving to france for 2 years. Not sure how to go about it. We've been in Annecy..it's a beaut spot.
We thought we'd find the right school (boys 6/9) and go from there. Any suggestions on how to find a school and house to rent? Are there people who can do this for you? We are from Sydney. Any tips from oz? Any regrets?
Our preference is for somewhere not too big...good climate. Still enjoying yourself? Meredith and family.
Old 21st March 2009, 05:46

Default Dentist moving to France

Born and raised in Mexico and later moved to the USA, I received my doctorate in dental surgery from the university of Texas HSC, the most competitive dental school in the USA. I am a USA citizen by now but fell in love with France and the French to the point that I want to move as soon as possible to be incorporated into French culture. I am only afraid it may be as hard (Nearly impossible) as it was getting to America from Mexico. Is it really possible for me to make the move permanently, or am I limited in time and doomed to have to move out eventually?
Old 21st March 2009, 15:07
Forum admin

Default Welcome Ocsar

Hello Ocsar and welcome to the forum.

If you are willing to make some compromises career wise you could try and find a job in France witn a company to sponsor you...

You can always try to get another european citizenzhip that way you are allowed to live in France indefinitely.

ps
On a side note I built a website for an Australian company who organises dental conferences in Whistler, Vail, Tuscany and Australia: www.harriscallaway.com

Last edited by david-giorgi : 21st March 2009 at 15:21.
Old 22nd March 2009, 04:08

thank you, I will check it out
Its great to be here, If any one has any questions for me, I will do my best