Expat France | living in France.

www.superfrenchie.com lacoquette.blogs.com samdebretagne.blogspot.com www.petiteanglaise.com www.french-word-a-day.com

Go Back   Expat France | living in France. > Introductions, Moving to France, Living in France
Googlemap ME Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th March 2011, 13:48

Hi Nicole,

From my completely unbiased point of view , I would say that Annecy has a lot more to offer than Evian. Evian is probably quite nice in summer, but very dead in winter. Annecy has a wider range of schools, more cultural activities, more things for kids to do - the list goes on! With the new autoroute access to Geneva is probably easier too (the road to Evian is often snarled up with traffic, in my experience).

Bear in mind that your school will probably depend on where you live (they can be quite strict on catchment area policies), unless you go private, in which case obviously you have the choice.

Good luck with your decision, and feel free to ask any further questions.

Craig
Old 16th March 2011, 15:08

Location: Currently living in Bucharest Romania for the last 5 years. We will be moving to France this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig N View Post
Hi Nicole,

From my completely unbiased point of view , I would say that Annecy has a lot more to offer than Evian. Evian is probably quite nice in summer, but very dead in winter. Annecy has a wider range of schools, more cultural activities, more things for kids to do - the list goes on! With the new autoroute access to Geneva is probably easier too (the road to Evian is often snarled up with traffic, in my experience).

Bear in mind that your school will probably depend on where you live (they can be quite strict on catchment area policies), unless you go private, in which case obviously you have the choice.

Good luck with your decision, and feel free to ask any further questions.

Craig

Thanks Craig for your advise, the traffic issue, I'm sure is a problem to keep in mind with getting to Evian....
Still searching and looking, but will let you know when we make it there....
Thanks again,
Nicole
Old 13th May 2011, 00:54

hi did you make the move? just looking back at the old posting, we are moving there in 3 weeks to Bluffy and the kids will go to menthon school!
michelle
Old 7th June 2011, 15:51

Default Hi everyone!

I'm a young Australian who has been living in the Cote d'Azur with my French wife of 3 years for 3 months now. Life here is good, as we live in a beautiful little village called Vence (her home town), and I get along well with all of my wife's friends. Unfortunately, I haven't really got many friend's of my own, and I have found it difficult to get work here (Although I got lucky and found a job as a seconde de cusine in a local restaurant where I worked for 3 weeks, but it turned out I wasn't up to the standard he wanted for the summer season. This is perhaps a blessing in disguise though, as the long hours were already becoming tiring, and my wife would be sleeping by the time I arrived home, as she has to get up early for her job in Nice), so for the past month I have been a house-husband (?!), and playing badmington twice a week!

Thankfully, there is a great little English library here which has kept me busy, and recently I found the Anglo Info website, and have been applying for jobs on there. Although I haven't had any luck so far, here's hoping I get lucky!

Ultimately I would love to find a job that is involves environmental protection or campaigning in some way, as I recently completed a degree in Environmental studies just before leaving Australia, and have worked for NGO's such as Greenpeace and The Wilderness Society in the past. At the moment though, I think I'll take whatever job offer I can find!

Anyway, there's my story so far, and it was a pleasure reading your's!

Cheers - Oscar
Old 17th June 2011, 00:02

Default Hey there!

Hi
I'm Karen, I'm originally from North East England and I'm due to move to France in 80 days time!

My first visit to France was last year in May where I visited a friend who introduced me to Carcassonne & Toulouse. I loved it so much that I returned in September for a 'road trip' travelling counter clockwise starting from/ending at Dunkirk, passing through Caen, Bayeux, Nantes, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Portiragnes Plage (holiday villa for a week), Montpellier, Lyon, Dijon and Reims. I've been a bit of a nomad for the last few years living in various parts of England and am currently living in Wales! (don't ask! lol). Long story short I found the french lifestyle, culture, food, wine, language, history and people amazing so am venturing back out by myself and hoping to start a new happy life there.

I've opted for the Languedoc-Roussillon region (it was my favourite region on my travels) and have found a happy little place by the sea. I'm very excited but also a little apprehensive it being such a big move so for the last six months I've been researching like a woman possessed and came across this site. Thank you for sharing all your stories!

I guess I'm just hoping for little pointers on do's and don'ts for when I arrive, things I should watch out for, whether anyone else had done anything similar to what I'm doing, and if so how they coped? Also I figured it can't hurt to hopefully make new friends and perhaps build up a mini 'support network' of sorts lol ....

Anyways, thats my story ....
K
x
Old 4th January 2014, 22:42

Default Bonjour, tous...

Bonsoir in fact, as it's 8.30pm here. I divide my time between Dorset and the Alps, which isn't a bad way to go on. I actually signed up here to post my transport company in the business listing, but as a by-product of my work appears to be gossip and the passing-on of useful info, I suspect I'll be around in general forum. For the past four years or so I have lurked in the Cham area, but this year we turn our attention to Annecy and nearby as well. Being a mixer of business and pleasure I've made quite a few good friends up in Cham, and I hope the same will apply down this neck of the woods. And what a woodneck it is, too. Que de lieu. Bon Année, tout le monde. regards, Phil.
Old 19th August 2014, 16:45

Hi. I'm Viv. Planning to move to France with hubby and 2 kids aged 6&7 in January for 8 months. We're currently on holiday in Annecy and like it very much, however it is likely too expensive for us. We'd be happy with a smaller town where we can afford a 3 bed place close to centre so I can walk to get bread, milk and saucisson sec as long as it is within an hour of Geneva airport. Oh and has a good local or French private (ie 100's not 1000's per term school fees) school.

I'd appreciate anyone would share their experience or any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 10:05

Default We just arrived

Hello, I'm on day two of a 90 day trip to France. My husband and I, along with our dog, are staying on a vineyard near Carpentras. We sold our home and all of our things back in Los Angeles in order to have a new life experience. I was awake at 2am-thanks jet lag-and found this forum. I'm in search of the best and most economical way to learn French.

Nicole