Expat France | living in France.

www.superfrenchie.com lacoquette.blogs.com samdebretagne.blogspot.com www.petiteanglaise.com www.french-word-a-day.com

Go Back   Expat France | living in France. > Introductions, Moving to France, Living in France
Googlemap ME Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th October 2006, 23:16
Forum admin

Default Hello and welcome to Expat France :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistoffate
Hello and thank you for creating this wonderful site. I was referred by "ameri-cannes" a forum member who I happened to meet via posting at another (far less friendly) expat website. I have to say this has been a welcome introduction as I have been planning to relocate from the US to France for some time...
Hello and welcome to Expat France :]

This forum i still quite new but we have some very experienced members including high profile bloggers that are consistently writing amazing stuff online and are more than willing to help.

One of my main goals is to maintain a balanced friendly online community. As the forum grows I hope to assign moderators to maintain the integrity and quality of the content.

Last edited by david-giorgi : 12th October 2006 at 02:28.
Old 29th October 2006, 13:26

Cool starting

I was introduced to the site by my good friend,who lives in the next village. I was born in England, married an American and moved to California. We now have retired to Brittany. We have three cats that we brought with us and all five of us have settled in very well. Actually a lot better than I settled in CA. I find the culture here much closer to my own than the American way of life. Which was a shock as I had thought we were similar as we speak a similar language.
Old 31st October 2006, 15:34

Default Introduction

Hi,

My name is Racheal, I left the UK in August 2005 to make a fresh start in France with my husband and 3 children.

We moved the the Cote d'or area and we are very happy here.

Racheal x

www.milesawayinfrance.com
Old 2nd November 2006, 17:39

Default Hello

I don't even know how I got here (surfing) but am glad to have found all of you!

My name is Lisa and I've lived in France for 11 yrs.(6yrs in Paris and 5 in Noizay, nears Tours). My husband is French and we have 3 kids: Céline-10,Camille- almost 9, and Julien- almost 5.

I have a lot of friends(french) here and get along fine in french but sometimes it's nice to talk to someone who grew up with the Brady Bunch! I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Lisa
Old 7th November 2006, 15:18

Hello everyone, I'm an American who has been living in France for about 1 1/2 years now. I met my now-husband while on vacation in France and that's how I ended up here. I'm from Louisiana, hence my screen name.

My French isn't bad and I get compliments on my accent, but I'm not yet fluent. I teach business English and have met some great expats through that, but I thought it would be fun to join in here as well. Look forward to chatting with all of you!
Old 10th November 2006, 03:57

Smile

Welcome to this lovely site! I am living in the States but working on relocating to France within the next year (or so). I have been coming to this site quite a bit and really enjoy the exchanges however they aren't often (the posts that is) I'm afraid. I think people in the US are so tech-freaky that if one doesn't check multipl emails, blogs and boards we think we've lost touch!

Feel free to write and comment on any topic (there are easy to follow categories) and have fun meeting new people!

So tell me more about your experiences since settling in France - I am starved for any bit of info and local tidbit to hang onto until I arrive myself.

Cheers!

Lisa
Old 10th November 2006, 12:03

Hi Lisa! As for me, I've had nothing but good experiences since moving here. (Other than some rudeness and impatience in Paris, which is to be expected.) Everyone has been really nice to me and I haven't had any anti-American comments directed to me, other than by a nosy German guy who heard my American accent while I was having lunch in a restaurant.

Some random thoughts: I love the things that are oh-so-French, like the fantastic bread, the wines, the little restaurants, the cheeses, the yogurt, etc. I really haven't even had any problems with the bureaucracy. I got my carte de séjour and my carte vitale, and exchanged my driver's license for a French permis with no problems and no hassle. I almost fainted when I got paid for the first time...they took out about 20% for social charges and you have to pay income tax on top of that. I am totally impressed by the efficiency of the French healthcare system. Make sure you bring US measuring cups and spoons so you can make your US recipes here. Many things are more expensive here than they are in the states. And I love to shop at Yves Rocher, Genevieve Lethu and Bouchara.

I do miss the US and my mom sends care packages to help with that. There's also an online American grocery store in France from which you can order North American goodies.

I find that French people, in general, can be harder to get to know. I have a French friend, who I met through my husband as soon as I arrived, and she's very friendly but still formal and kind of stand-offish. When I started teaching, I met some British and American women and we were instantly friends, just like back in the states. I had really missed having girlfriends to chat with!

Hope my rambling has been informative! Which part of France are you moving to?
Old 12th November 2006, 05:22

Default France

Hello. I am an American engaged to a French man. We live in America now, and I have yet to visit France (can't wait!). We plan to get married in France next year, but are going to secretly elope here first, then marry in the church over there, to avoid the '40 day residency' thing. For now, we plan to stay in the states, but for how long we don't know. We often discuss moving to/living in France in the future, as my fiance's family is much closer than mine and I think it would be a better place to raise our children...BUT we have plans to open a patisserie here in the States. And, as talented as my hubby-to-be is, I worry that a French patisserie would be more monetarily successful inthe states, as I am thinking a french pastry chef is not as rare in France...lol. But, again, I think it would be a better place for our family. I found this site because I was trying to search for information to help us in our decision. Like....if, we have a baby born in France, will he/she have the option of being both a French AND American citizen? and also, same question, if we have a baby born in the US. Well, I have many more questions, but this was suppose to be an introduction only, so I'll keep it at this for now....many thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 12th November 2006, 10:55

Hello Thomas,

We did the reverse: we got married civilly in France then had a religious ceremony in the US. Since we were going to live here in France, I thought it would just be easier to have a French marriage license.

I can't give you any advice on the business from personal experience, but I can tell you that we have a friend here who runs a crêperie and he's thisclose to closing it and moving back to the US (he's French but lived in the US for a while). It's my understanding that it's a lot easier to run a small business in the US than in France (taxes, more stringent labor laws, etc.). I'm sure there's a wealth of relevant information on these subjects on the internet.

If you have a baby in either country, he can have dual citizenship (assuming you are an American citizen and your husband is a French citizen). If he's born in the US, you just have to register him at the French consulate, and vice versa.

Hope this helps!
Old 12th November 2006, 13:05

hello everyone I live in pas de calais I love it here although I am having difficulty with learning the language get by but would like to learn more